Are you an attorney or law student who wants to make a difference by contributing your services pro bono?
You are in the right place! In 2010, MLSA tracked over 3400 hours of pro bono work by private attorneys. We greatly value contributions by the private bar to help us meet the large and growing need for legal aid in Montana.
- If you participate in one of the programs that we coordinate or manage, you can qualify for coverage under MLSA's malpractice insurance.
- MLSA provides a certificate for a free CLE to anyone that contributes over 50 hours of pro bono in a year.
- MLSA can provide pro bono attorneys with mentors, meeting space, and law student volunteers to help with research and other tasks while you have an active pro bono case.
- MLSA pro bono attorneys also have access to a website with information and resources developed specifically for pro bono attorneys, www.montanaprobono.net.
What opportunities are available?
- MLSA coordinates with local pro bono programs sponsored by courts and bar associations throughout Montana to match attorneys with clients.
- MLSA has opportunities for attorneys to assist with civil legal issues through limited scope representation as well as full representation.
- While family law issues are the greatest need of clients, MLSA does our best to match pro bono attorneys to the types of cases they wish to take. In addition, MLSA has specific opportunities for attorneys who practice bankruptcy or tax law.
For more information about specific pro bono opportunities, please contact the appropriate person listed below:
For Lewis & Clark, Broadwater, and Cascade Counties, contact August Swanson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-442-9830 x 121.
For Beaverhead, Deer Lodge, Gallatin, Granite, Hill, Jefferson, Madison, Mineral, Missoula, Powell, Ravalli, and Silver Bow Counties, contact Angie Wagenhals, email@example.com or (406) 543-8343 x 207.
For bankruptcy law-related opportunities, contact August Swanson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-442-9830 x 121.
For tax lawyers who want to help clients in MLSA's Low-Income Tax Clinic with tax disputes, contact August Swanson, email@example.com or 406-442-9830 x 121.
To help with developing legal self-help informational materials, such as brochures and articles for MontanaLawHelp.org , contact Christine Mandiloff, firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-442-9830 x 131.
If you are a law student, contact Angie Wagenhals at email@example.com or (406) 543-8343 x 207.
For all other pro bono opportunities with MLSA, contact Angie Wagenhals at firstname.lastname@example.org or (406) 543-8343 x 207.
Thank you for your interest in pro bono work!