Looking for an opportunity to use your legal skills to positively impact lives in your community? A career at MLSA is guaranteed to do just that. At MLSA, every day is different and filled with work that is both intellectually stimulating and challenging. Whether you are just starting your legal career or are a seasoned lawyer, making legal aid work part of your life will not only allow you to grow your legal skills, but will also instill a sense of personal satisfaction from seeing the immediate results of your work in the transformed lives of clients.
Who Are We
- Our attorneys have pursued impact litigation all the way to Montana’s Supreme Court, helping to level the playing field for all Montanans.
- Our staff works with clients statewide and within Montana’s Tribal Courts.
- We are nationally recognized for our forward-thinking approach to civil legal aid and for our use of technology to advance the cause of justice for all in Montana.
- Live your values and put your passion or degree to work by advocating for people who deserve a voice in our legal system.
- Memorial Day to Labor Day, MLSA’s full-time work week is reduced from 40 hours to 36 hours a week.
- We offer company-paid health, dental, vision and life insurance; educational loan repayment assistance; a 403(b) retirement plan; and eligibility for a health reimbursement or health savings account.
- We offer a generous paid leave package, including annual, personal, sick leave, and wellness.
- If you move from another town in Montana to join us, we offer up to $500 for relocation reimbursement (or $1,000 if you move from out of state).
- Access to free CLE seminars and opportunities to attend national conferences and trainings.
- The chance to hone your skills in a friendly and supportive work environment.
This Staff Attorney position will provide poverty law services to domestic violence victims throughout the state of Montana, concentrating their work in Carbon, Stillwater, Sweet Grass, Park and Meagher counties. Poverty law services will primarily be in the area of family law and orders of protection, although other areas of law, such as housing, public benefits and consumer, will be addressed as appropriate to the client. For more information, and to apply to the job, please follow this link.
The Domestic Violence Staff Attorney position will provide civil legal assistance to clients of the Friendship Center and to survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in Lewis & Clark, Broadwater, and Jefferson Counties. The position will be based at the Helena office of the Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA). Services provided will handle all aspects of legal representation for survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence, including client contact, pleading preparation, research, file maintenance, and hearing and trial work. Areas of law covered will include all aspects of civil poverty law, but will be focused primarily on family law and Orders of Protection. The staff attorney will also participate in MLSA’s statewide initiatives, implement grant and contract requirements through casework and foster pro bono involvement with the private bar. For more information, and to apply to the job, please follow this link.
The Youth Homelessness Demonstration Project (YHDP) Navigator will provide project management and development for MLSA’s Youth and Young Adult (YYA) Legal Housing Project while also serving as a single point of contact for YYA who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and are in need of legal services. The Navigator will work with a statewide network of organizations dedicated to serving homeless and at-risk YYA in order to provide these services. For more information, and to apply to the job, please follow this link.
The full-time Eviction Prevention Intake Specialist offers support, advocacy, information and referrals to families and individuals facing eviction, or with housing issues. This position will serve as the first point of contact for MLSA clients with housing issues. The Eviction Prevention Intake Specialist works with the MT Eviction Intervention Program Team to conduct client intakes and offer holistic, client-based support to prevent eviction and enhance the housing stability of MLSA clients. To view the full job description and apply, please follow this link.