Join Montana Legal Services Association and make a difference! You’ll enjoy Montana’s outdoor lifestyle while advocating for those without a voice in our legal system. We offer a supportive and collegial work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and a generous benefits package. A career at MLSA is filled with work that is both intellectually stimulating and challenging and no two days are the same. Whether you are just starting your legal career or are a seasoned lawyer, making legal aid work part of your life will not only allow you to grow your legal skills, but will also instill a sense of personal satisfaction from seeing the immediate results of your work in the transformed lives of clients.
Who Are We
- Our attorneys have pursued impact litigation all the way to Montana’s Supreme Court, helping to level the playing field for all Montanans.
- Our staff works with clients statewide and within Montana’s Tribal Courts.
- We are nationally recognized for our forward-thinking approach to civil legal aid and for our use of technology to advance the cause of justice for all in Montana.
- Live your values and put your passion or degree to work by advocating for people who deserve a voice in our legal system.
- We offer company-paid health, dental, vision and life insurance; a 403(b) retirement plan; and eligibility for a health reimbursement (HRA) or health savings account (HSA). MLSA contributes $1,250 to employees each year for an HRA or HSA.
- MLSA is a Public Student Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) organization and additionally, attorney staff may be eligible for up to three separate Loan Repayment Assistance programs run through the Legal Services Corporation, Montana Justice Foundation, and MLSA. For attorneys, this additional amount for student loans can be anywhere from $2,400 - $14,200. MLSA's Loan Repayment Assistance Program is also available to non-attorney staff.
- We offer a generous paid leave package, including 3 weeks of annual leave, 24 hours of personal leave (prorated), sick leave, and a wellness leave program.
- If you move from another town in Montana to join us, we offer up to $500 for relocation reimbursement or $1,000 if you move from out of state.
- Access to free CLE seminars and opportunities to attend national conferences and trainings.
We seek diverse and dynamic applicants for a 24-month, full-time attorney position at Montana Legal Services as an Equal Justice Works Fellow in the Crime Victims Advocacy Program. MLSA has been competitively selected by Equal Justice Works as an implementing partner of Equal Justice Works’ Crime Victims Advocacy Program (CVAP), funded by the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Office for Victims of Crime (OVC). The Crime Victim Advocacy Fellow will provide direct civil legal services including legal advice, brief services, and full representation to American Indian crime victims living on the Crow, Northern Cheyenne, and Fort Peck Reservations. Fellows must commit to fulfilling the twenty-four-month fellowship and will sign a Fellowship Agreement with Equal Justice Works. More information can be found on our Fellowship page or you can apply now through this link.
The Medical Legal Partnership Intake Navigator offers support, advocacy, information and referrals. This position will help guide clients through the various systems and support related to their civil legal issue and serve as a resource. The Intake Navigator will provide .75 FTE support to the Intake Group and .25 FTE support to the MLP Practice Group with case navigation. This position will offer holistic, client-based support and will serve as the primary point of contact for assigned MLP clients. To review the job description and apply, click here.