Pro Bono Opportunities
Are you an attorney or law student who wants to make a difference by contributing your services pro bono?
You are in the right place! In 2014, attorneys working with pro bono programs coordinating with MLSA donated over 5,300 hours. We greatly value contributions by the private bar to help us meet the large and growing need for legal aid in Montana.
- If you participate in one of the programs that we coordinate or manage, you can qualify for coverage under MLSA's malpractice insurance.
- The State Bar provides a certificate for a free CLE to anyone that contributes over 50 hours of pro bono in a year.
- MLSA can provide pro bono attorneys with mentors, meeting space, and law student volunteers to help with research and other tasks while you have an active pro bono case.
- MLSA pro bono attorneys also have access to a website with information and resources developed specifically for pro bono attorneys, www.montanaprobono.net.
What opportunities are available?
- MLSA coordinates with local pro bono programs sponsored by courts and bar associations throughout Montana to match attorneys with clients.
- MLSA has a full-time pro bono coordinator plus two program coordinators to help support pro bono activities, making pro bono more rewarding.
- MLSA has opportunities for attorneys to assist with civil legal issues through limited scope representation as well as full representation.
- While family law issues are the greatest need of clients, MLSA does our best to match pro bono attorneys to the types of cases they wish to take. In addition, MLSA has specific opportunities for attorneys who practice bankruptcy or tax law.
How do I get started?
- Contact Angie Wagenhals, email@example.com or (406) 543-8343 x 207.
Looking for ways to get pro bono hours? Provide advice to low-income people at the Gallatin County Legal Advice Clinic! Clinics run once per month, July-November, and again in January. Contact Angie Wagenhals, firstname.lastname@example.org or (406) 543-8343 x 207 for more information.