Internship Position Description and Responsibilities:
MLSA summer law student interns will work side by side with MLSA staff in an effort to provide, protect and enhance access to justice. MLSA law student interns will be exposed to various areas of poverty law and gain experience through:
- Interviewing clients seeking advice or assistance.
- Counseling and advising clients.
- Negotiating with opposing parties and counsel.
- Undertaking direct assistance and responsibilities to clients.
- Drafting petitions, motions, pleadings, and other court documents.
- Engaging in investigation and formal discovery.
- Researching case-specific legal issues.
- Making court appearances, including trials and appeals (if the intern is qualified under student practice rules).
Interns may be placed in Missoula, Billings, or Helena, depending on MLSA's current needs and available office space. Projects may relate to housing, consumer law, self-help legal assistance, or other areas of law.
Law student seeking an internship for the summer after his or her first or second year of law school.
- Letter of Interest
- Two references
Send a letter of interest, résumé and two references to:
Montana Legal Services Association
616 Helena Avenue, Suite 100
Helena, MT 59601