Careers with MLSA
Position Title: Farmworker Outreach Summer Intern
Location: Based in Missoula, Helena, or Billings with extensive travel required
Working as a team, two Farmworker Outreach Interns will conduct outreach with community partners, and with farmworkers throughout Montana. The interns may also develop outreach materials and provide legal assistance to farmworkers under the supervision of experienced poverty law attorneys. Our clients may include foreign agricultural workers with federal H-2A visas and any other workers whose income derives from agricultural labor in Montana. Farmworkers may experience a wide variety of legal problems, including wage disputes, unsafe working conditions, inadequate housing, and denial of access to public benefits and services. We will provide training to interns.
This position will require travel and frequent overnight, possibly multi-night, stays at outreach locations within Montana.
- Communicating with local organizations and businesses regarding MLSA services for farmworkers.
- Planning outreach events in local communities, in conjunction with other service providers
- Developing, coordinating and making educational presentations in English and Spanish for farmworkers, community members and service providers.
- Communicating in oral and written Spanish with farmworkers and service providers.
- Conducting client interviews and assisting in client application processes.
- Investigating legal claims.
- Legal research and writing, including drafting outreach materials for future use.
- Supporting attorneys with delivery of client services, pending litigation and projects.
- Interest in the provision of legal services to low income people and a commitment to protecting the legal rights of agricultural workers.
- Confidence in speaking with various persons in various communities in Montana (such as local food bank staff, state employment office staff, clergy, community service providers, and potential clients) about the services that MLSA offers.
- Ability to work effectively without daily contact from a supervisor.
- Law students preferred (1L or 2L). Exceptionally well-qualified undergraduates may be considered.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with the other outreach intern.
- The motivation and ability to be self-directed in advancing advocacy on behalf of agricultural workers in Montana.
- High level of proficiency in oral and written Spanish.
- Must have valid driver’s license, access to a reliable vehicle, and willingness to travel extensively throughout Montana.
To Apply: Send a resume, three references, and a cover letter indicating level of Spanish competency to firstname.lastname@example.org. Video interviews, a portion of which will be conducted in Spanish, are available to applicants who are not within driving distance of an MLSA office.
Salary: $15.00-18.00 per hour DOE for the 10-week internship, plus reimbursement of approved work-related travel expenses. We will also welcome applicants who have outside funding and we are willing to consider internships for course credit in lieu of pay.
Submission Deadline: Screening of applicants will begin on March 26, 2018. The position will remain open until filled. The start date is negotiable for the 10-week internship, and will be coordinated between the two successful candidates for the intern positions. The 10 weeks must occur between May 31 and August 31, 2018.