How to Answer When You Get Sued

If you are served with a Summons and a Petition or Complaint follow these steps:
1. Read through the court papers carefully. The Summons will tell you the deadline to file your written Answer and the name of the court where the lawsuit is filed. The Petition or Complaint will say why the other party is suing you and what they’re asking the court to do.
2. It’s a good idea to get legal help.
3. File a written Answer with the Clerk of Court where the lawsuit is filed. If you don’t file a written Answer within the deadline, the other party may get everything they ask for.
4. Make sure you attend all your court hearings, meditations, and/or conferences.

To learn more, check out our step-by-step guide: How to Answer When You Get Sued.

Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA) provides legal tips to help Montanans better understand their rights and find free resources. Follow us on Instagram and Facebook for more helpful information.